When communicating with your team here are quick tips on what engages and what enrages:
- Tell people, specifically, what they are doing right
- Create challenging assignments where people can stretch and shine.
- Offer to mentor
- Give credit publically, where credit is due
- Profile a best practice
- Praise everyone for everything until it is meaningless
- Allow for the status quo and “good enough”
- Offer little support , coaching or one-on-one time
- Take credit for other’s work
- Forget to shine the spotlight of what it working well
Take a moment to self-coach and determine where, when and how you can develop as a morale booster rather than a morale buster.