I found this commencement speech by Charles Wheelan to be refreshing and very practical!
10½ Things No Commencement Speaker Has Ever Said,” by Charles Wheelan.
1. Your time in fraternity basements was well spent.
2. Some of your worst days lie ahead
3. Don’t make the world worse
4. Mary someone smarter than you are.
5. Help stop the Little League arms race.
6. Read obituaries.
7. Your parents don’t want what is best for you.
8. Don’t model your life after a circus animal.
9. It’s all borrowed time.
10. Don’t try to be great.
For more, read: http://tiny.cc/56j7dw
A version of this article appeared April 28, 2012, on page C3 in some U.S. editions of The Wall Street Journal, with the headline: 10 Things Your Commencement Speaker Won’t Tell You.